Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Influence Map

I should make at least one more of these; I didn't get everyone that I wanted in there. Obviously, there's no way I can put in absolutely everyone, but I think I didn't even finish some of the big ones.

1. Samuli Ponismaa - He's actually a guitar player, but he also does all the art work for the band Finntroll. I love his smooth, fuzzy shading and the way he renders his mythological creatures. I also love how unabashedly strong the folk/Scandinavian influence is in his work.

2. Edward Gorey - His line control is unparalleled and I love his gruesome tales. He really brings in an antiquated feel, despite being a rather modern illustrator. He is able to convey some pretty complicated shading and texture with just the use of ink.

3. Salvador Dali - I love it when things get a little strange...

4. Space Coyote aka Nina Matsumoto - I will admit that she is among one of the first artists that I tried super fucking hard to ape. Until I had seen her comic stuff, I had been watching shoujo stuff and I got tired of all the fluffy roundness that has to offer. Her angular, somewhat sketchy work blew me away.

5. Quentin Blake - The first illustrator whose work I recognized. I grew up reading the books he illustrated and there's such a friendly, fun quality about his work.

6. Arborwin - Arborwin was another early influence, on par with Space Coyote. I love the flow of her digital work; it's almost impressionistic and it's so emotional and ethereal. Gorgeous.

7. Leonardo Da Vinci - He's an Illustration Hero. The poetry of line, the flow, the sensitivity, the accuracy, the dedication, the love...it all shows through his brilliant work. He was a workaholic and a vegetarian and insatiably curious.

8. Ralph Steadman - Never have I seen more beautiful work. When I think of rock 'n roll, I think of him. No one is better.

9. H.R. Giger - I think we're all familiar with him. I really love how tightly rendered everything is and I do love the gloom. When I look at his stuff, I get this "skin and bones" feeling, like all my flesh and organs suddenly disappeared. It's stark and screams of impending doom. Gorgeous.

Look out for more.

Make your own: http://fox-orian.deviantart.com/art/Influence-Map-Template-174550753

Take care.

No comments: