Thursday, November 20, 2008

Adventures in watercolor...




World's Most Boring Assignment: take pictures of people working or in uniforms and paint them. It's a good exercise, no doubt, but if we were just exploring the possibilities of watercolor, I think I would have preferred a still life or something. The paintings were supplemented by colored pencil (watercolor and colored pencils are one of my favorite ways to work).

I do like the fencing one though (and you may be able to tell that I spent the most time on it); the figures look great. I tried to give it a little bit of color by making the shadows blue.


An illustration for a children's book that I'm putting together. This assignment allowed for more freedom; notice that the bushes, her hair, her jacket, etc. are not a single color. It's fun! I'm starting to get the hang of it.

For some real awesome watercolors, check out Mr. JT's blog (to the right).

Take care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't say I'm not a little biased into liking the fencing one the best, but I like that the colors you used capture a great deal of the energy of the thing itself.

...plus there's the stupid illegal cheating haxx bend in the blade...for the arm flicks...

...