Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Miscellaneous Debris






Got a couple of different things for you today, dear reader.

1. Some Primus imagery. There's something really very 1990s-American about the pig face (from Pork Soda); the aesthetic is so recognizable with the time period. The boxing fellow is from Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People.

2. A scared-looking fisherman sort of dude from Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People.

3. Hand practice. God knows I need it.

4. Some really quick observational sketches of dancers. I'm planning to do an illustration involving dancers, so I'm trying to get some practice in. Ballet dancers have amazing legs; I had some trouble figuring out just what the back legs were doing (as you can probably tell from a couple of the sketches). I'll blame it on their anatomy being blocked by costumes. This one is a photo of the sketch page...the scanner was too small to get the whole page and I didn't want to chop up my dancers.

Until next time,
Allison Marcellus

2 comments:

TheDudeVonDoom said...

Excellent job on the pig face and scared fisherman. Nice to see you working on facial characteristics/expressions like those.
I "blame" John K. and the like for making that style synonymous with the 90's.

Is it difficult to draw two objects/people interacting with each other (e.g. the dancers)?

Allison1710 said...

Thanks for the comments. The 90s had a really grunge/gross/gritty look to them...those were good times.

To answer the Dude's question:
It depends. I got photo reference of actual ballroom dancers, so it looked extremely natural and thus the sketch of the figures interacting looks really natural.

If I fabricated it out of my head, it probably wouldn't have turned out as well.